Guidance for First Aid Training for Forest School & Outdoor Learning
Through consultation with the Health and Safety Executive, please note the following:-
First Aid training needs to be appropriate for the environment you are working in and client group you are working with. We advise you to conduct a First Aid training needs assessment (found on the HSE website).
– If you are a Forest School Leader working on your school site and if you have a member of staff on the school premises that has up to date First Aid at Work (3 days) training who can come to your assistance in the event of an emergency, it is highly advised that you to attend a Paediatric First Aid in Outdoor Settings course or the equivalent.
– If you are a Forest School Leader working off your school site it is sensible that you or another member of staff with you has a First Aid at Work certificate plus a Paediatric First Aid in Outdoor Settings or the equivalent.
Please note: In all cases a Forest School Leader is highly advised to have a two day Paediatric First Aid in Outdoor Settings certificate or the equivalent. Evidence of this will need to be seen for newly qualified leaders.
For further information on First Aid Courses, please contact Cambium Sustainable: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information and advice about your establishments First Aid Needs see www.hse.gov.uk
Other First Aid guidance material: A Good Practice Guide – Health and Safety of Pupils on Educational Visits – DfEE
Guidance on First Aid for Schools – DfEE http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/g/gfas.pdf
Some First Aid Providers (as recommended by our trainers)
Anubis First Aid
Working within H.S.E guidelines we put together a course which takes into account specific dangers or problem areas within your work place. This will enable your nominated first aid personnel to have the skills and confidence needed to handle any emergency in your workplace. Anubis offers Forest School First Aid training in Herefordshire
First Aid for Life
Forest/Beach School First Aid
Covering practical skills needed by those who work with children age 1 year and above, this course provides the confidence and knowledge to deal with comprehensive life-saving first aid emergencies in the outdoor environment, including first aid for adult helpers. The course content and context is totally integrated with the Forest School ethos and rationale. The courses run near Exeter at Shillingford Organics, Shillingford Abbot, Exeter, EX2 9QQ
First Aid Training Plus
- Outdoor first aid qualification covering additional elements of paediatric first aid in a Forest School context
- Highly practical and contextualised for your individual setting
- Suitable for Forest School Practitioners and those working outdoors with adults and children from 1 year upwards
- In line with new (October 2013) HSE regulationswhen based on your individual riskassessment
- Covers dealing with common incidents in a Forest School setting like cuts, minor burns and hypothermia as well as life threatening incidents including choking and CPR for adults and children
- Free additional AED awareness training available on request
- Based near Preston, Lancashire
We offer ITC Forest School First Aid Courses and ITC Outdoor First Aid Courses. The Forest School’s courses is suitable for Forest School Practitioners and those working outdoors with adults and children (from 1 year upwards) in line with the October 2013 HSE regulations when based on your individual risk assessment. The course covers dealing with common incidents in a Forest School setting like cuts, minor burns and hypothermia as well as life threatening incidents including choking and CPR for both adults and children. The Outdoor Course is more generic in nature but also suitable for Forest School Practitioners. Most of our courses are based in Hampshire, check the website for dates: www.hantstraining.co.uk or call 07916 522371
Northern Lights Training
I run Forest School First Aid courses as well as the Outdoor instructor (16 hour) course, First Aid at Work, EFAW and Paediatric courses. I’m also a qualified teacher, level 3 Forest school practitioner and outdoor instructor based just outside Chester. As a teacher and practitioner I know CPD/training can be a bit dry, so I always aim to make my courses realistic, relevant, and fun. All my courses contain a considerable outdoor element to the training, with practical scenarios and challenges to reinforce learning. My intention is always to pace the activities to suit the learner. I run open courses in conjunction with Plas Derw Trust in North Wales close to Chester a couple of times a year, as well as open courses and bespoke courses for groups across the country. the dates for these are on my website under the book online button.
RC Training Wales
RC Training Wales is one of the longest established leading professsional outdoor education companies in South Wales, and has been delivering quality educational experiences for 15 years, having accumulated half a century of experience working and playing in the Great Outdoors. We are a Quality Assured Organisation, being one of the very few outdoor providers with ISO90001 quality accreditation using Tutors that have the highest levels of qualification and experience.
Mobile. 07787 123 739